The World and Everything in It is WORLD Radio's daily half-hour audio news magazine, produced Monday-Friday. Play our programs and segments online below, or subscribe to the podcast by clicking the iTunes icon or RSS icon in the right column.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 202-709-9595.
News, reviews, and interviews: Rick Perry unveils economic plan, film review of 'Footloose,' report on the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition forum, Marvin Olasky talks with Sen. Jim DeMint, and Matthew Lee Anderson reads from 'Earthen Vessels'
In this week's program, news report about the rising costs of college education, Megan Basham discusses how TV comedy is making a comeback, report from Joel Hannahs on the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition forum, Andreé Seu on social justice, an update on the Kansas Planned Parenthood investigation, economic analysis with Warren Cole Smith, Marvin Olasky talks with Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), and much more.
Hour A, Segment 1
Earthquake in Turkey
Occupy protesters clash with police
College costs skyrocket
Rick Perry unveils economic plan
- A new report from the College Board says college costs are continuing to rise sharply.
- Neal McCluskey of the Cato Institute's Center for Educational Freedom argues that one of the main drivers of higher education costs is abundant student aid, much of it coming from Washington. McCluskey is the author of this new report: "How Much Ivory Does This Tower Need? What We Spend on, and Get from, Higher Education" (PDF).
- Read more about presidential candidate Rick Perry's new economic plan, dubbed "Cut, Balance, and Grow."
Hour A, Segment 2
Whither the 'Arab Spring?'
- Co-host Nick Eicher talks with Mindy Belz editor of WORLD Magazine.
Hour A, Segment 3
Hour A, Segment 4
Republican presidential candidates court Christian conservatives in Iowa
- WORLD News Group's Joel Hannahs reported on presidential hopefuls reaching out to the Hawkeye State's evangelical voters at a forum sponsored by the Faith and Freedom Coalition.
Hour A, Segment 5
Social justice—old school style
- Commentator Andreé Seu is a senior writer for WORLD Magazine and the author of Normal Kingdom Business (World and Life Books).
Hour B, Segment 1
Plot thickens in Kansas Planned Parenthood investigation
Economy may be picking up a little steam
Are anti-discrimination policies infringing on religious liberty?
- In Kansas, prosecutors revealed in court filings that state health officials shredded documents related to felony charges against Planned Parenthood. WORLD News Group's Les Sillars reported the story here.
- Warren Cole Smith reports on the economy and markets for WORLD News Group.
- You can watch the House Subcommittee on the Constitution's hearing on religious liberty online. The text of the opening statement by Roman Catholic Bishop William Lori is posted here (PDF).
Hour B, Segment 2
The Olasky Interview: A conversation with Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.)
Hour B, Segment 3
Writers Read: Matthew Lee Anderson reads from 'Earthen Vessels'
- Get details about Matthew Lee Anderson's book, Earthen Vessels: Why Our Bodies Matter to Our Faith (Bethany House, 2011).
Hour B, Segment 4
The Mississippi Personhood Amendment
And baby makes 7 billion
- The Wall Street Journal reports on the Mississippi Personhood Amendment (subscribers' link). Reporter and radio producer Carl Peetz owns CUP Productions in Tupelo, Miss.
- William McGurn, formerly chief speech writer for President George W. Bush, is a vice president at News Corporation and a columnist for The Wall Street Journal. Audio of William McGurn on this week's program is courtesy of Opinion Journal and the Wall Street Journal Digital Network.
Hour B, Segment 5
The TW&E History Book
- Oct. 31, 1517—Catholic monk Martin Luther promulgates his Ninety-Five Theses.
- Oct. 29, 1901—Leon Czolgosz, assassin of President McKinley, is put to death.
- Oct. 29, 1956—Israel launches an invasion of Egypt during the Suez Crisis.