News, reviews, interviews: a conversation with Thor Hearne on Obamacare, a report on Occupy Wall Street and the religious left, Susan Olasky details a pro-life victory in Texas, a film review of 'Puss and Boots,' and a surge in food stamps use
In this week's program, WORLD News Group reports on the Occupy clashes and protests, Thor Hearne is interviewed about Obamacare and the Supreme Court, Susan Olasky profiles a pro-life victory, a celebration of the 400th anniversary of the KJV, Marvin Olasky reports on the rising number of people on food stamps, and much more.
Hour B, Segment 5
The TW&E History Book
- Nov. 18, 1961 - President John F. Kennedy approves sending 18,000 advisers to South Vietnam.
- Nov. 18, 1978 - In Guyana, more than 900 members of the People's Temple cult commit suicide—or are murdered—in what became known as the Jonestown Massacre.
- Nov. 18, 1998 - Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr lays out his evidence as the House Judiciary Committee begins President Bill Clinton's impeachment hearings.
Hour B, Segment 4
Food stamps surge
- In the Nov. 19 issue of WORLD, Marvin Olasky reports on the escalating numbers of people on food stamps.
Hour B, Segment 3
Hour B, Segment 2
The 400th anniversary of the King James Bible
Reenactments of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
- Read about the Nov. 16 service at London's Westminster Abbey celebrating the 400th anniversary of the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
- Church of England evangelist and minister Glen Scrivener blogs about the King James Bible at KingsEnglish.info.
- Nov. 19—the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address—is Dedication Day in Gettysburg, Pa.
Hour B, Segment 1
Balanced-Budget Amendment fails in House
New Italian leader faces huge debt challenge
Department of Health and Human Services cuts ties to Catholic groups
Hour A, Segment 5
Occupy Wall Street and the religious left
- Commentator David Fischler is a pastor and church planter in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. He blogs at The Reformed Pastor.
Hour A, Segment 4
The miracle of Thanksgiving
- Eric Metaxas is the author of the children's book, Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving (Thomas Nelson).
- His books for adults include Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery (HarperOne); Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (Thomas Nelson); and Socrates in the City: Conversations on "Life, God, and Other Small Topics" (Dutton).
Hour A, Segment 3
A pro-life victory—for now—in Austin, Texas
Planned Parenthood drops challenge to Arizona abortion law
- Under legal pressure, the City of Austin has suspended enforcement of an ordinance that targets pro-life pregnancy resource centers. Read reporter Susan Olasky's earlier coverage in WORLD.
- San Francisco is going ahead with an ordinance targeted as pro-life pregnancy centers, as reported here by WORLD California.
- A Nov. 15 court order (PDF) ended Planned Parenthood's legal challenge to Arizona's Abortion Consent Act, signed into law in 2009. Details here from the Center for Arizona Policy.
Hour A, Segment 2
Obamacare goes to the Supreme Court
- Attorney Thor Hearne, a partner in the Washington law firm Arent Fox, specializes in matters involving constitutional law.
Hour A, Segment 1
Cities crack down on Occupiers
California's Proposition 8 to get a new day in court
Energy secretary feels heat on Solyndra deal
Traveling at Thanksgiving
- WORLD News Group reported on this week's Occupy clashes and protests here and here.
- Read WORLD News Group's coverage on the Nov. 17 House hearing about Solyndra funding in "Chu'd Out."
- The California Supreme Court ruled (PDF) Nov. 17 that the original proponents of Proposition 8 can defend the law in court. The measure, approved in a statewide vote in 2008, defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman. State officials have refused to defend it against a legal challenge.