Thanks to everyone who voted in the 2013 Hope Award for Effective Compassion contest. At a late Wednesday afternoon Washington, D.C., reception we’ll announce the winner of the $25,000 first prize, and on Thursday we’ll report about the event. The five regional winners are:
- West: My Safe Harbor, a California ministry that helps single moms break the dysfunctional cycle of broken homes.
- Midwest: Administer Justice, a Christian lawyers’ program in Illinois that helps the poor get their day in court.
- East: Hope Christian Center, an “urban L’Abri” in the Bronx, N.Y., that offers those who are homeless and drug-addicted an opportunity for discipleship that goes way beyond rehab.
- South: Beltline Bike Shop in Atlanta, which lets kids earn a bicycle while developing a work ethic.
- International: A HOPE International program in Haiti that helps struggling men and women save not only money but also souls.
Those ministries are eminently replicable. Please check out the regional winners and consider setting up similar projects in your own communities.