Lead Stories

Sleeping easier

"Sleeping easier" Continued...

Meanwhile in Dartmouth, police have evacuated the campus of the University of Massachusetts at Dartmoth, where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev attended class and lived in the dorm. They have not said what, if anything, they expect to find in his room or elsewhere on campus.

UPDATE (1:30 p.m.): In an ironic twist, federal authorities confirmed this afternoon that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev became a United States citizen on Sept. 11, 2012. Officials say the date was a coincidence as new citizens cannot choose the day of their citizenship ceremony. Dzhokhar's brother Tamerlan only had a green card.

UPDATE (12:45 p.m.): During a brief news conference, police officials said they would continue going door-to-door in Watertown, looking for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. They also said they just received some new leads within the last few minutes that they hoped would yield results.

Later this afternoon, investigators warned residents of Cambridge to expect a controlled explosion at a home in the area. Officials did not say what they planned to blow up but confirmed they wanted to enter the structure and needed to clear it to protect investigators’ safety. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who died in a shootout with police, had explosive devices on his body. The brothers also threw explosives at police during a high-speed chase.

UPDATE (12:30 p.m.): Searches of several buildings in the Watertown area have resulted in no arrests so far. Police activity remains high, with SWAT teams patrolling the streets and Blackhawk helicopters hovering over the area.

More details about the life of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the suspect who remains at large, are emerging, adding to the confusion about what motivated his alleged involvement in Monday’s bombings. Tsarnaev attended the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. Friends and classmates described him as a typical American college student who never talked about politics, preferring pop culture to current news. On Twitter and Facebook, friends urged Tsarnaev to turn himself in.

UPDATE (11 a.m.): Police have converged on an area in Watertown and have called for a Russian interpreter, according to media reports. Law enforcement officials moved media away from the area, suggesting they fear another bomb blast. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whom police shot earlier today, had explosives on his body when officers reached him. Because Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev has been in the United States for about 10 years and speaks fluent English, reporters are speculating officials might be trying to interview a friend, associate or family member. But officials believe Dzhokhar was recently in the area.

ORIGINAL REPORT (8:30 a.m.): A massive manhunt is underway in Boston as police prepare to go door-to-door to find one of two men identified overnight as suspects in Monday’s twin bombings.

One, identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died during a shootout with police late Thursday. His brother Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, escaped the firefight and is on the run.

Boston officials put the city and surrounding towns on lockdown this morning, canceling transit service and pleading with residents to stay inside and lock their doors. They have described Tsarnaev as armed and extremely dangerous.

After the bombings near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, analysts speculated about whether the person or people responsible would end up having ties to an international terror operation or some kind of homegrown group. Few expected the men to come from a former Soviet republic mired in a a fight for independence from Russia.

According to investigators, the brothers are from a region near Chechnya and have been in the United States for about a year. They are here legally, but officials have not said why or under what circumstances they came to Boston.

The search for them began hours after the FBI released photographs of the men at the scene of both bombings. During a Thursday evening news conference, FBI officials described the men as armed and dangerous and urged anyone who knew them to call the police.

It is not clear yet whether a tip led to the police pursuit, but the suspects first exchanged fire with a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer on campus in Cambridge. He later died of his injuries. The two suspects then stole a car at gunpoint, later releasing the driver unharmed. The men then exchanged fire with police and threw explosive devices at officers pursuing them through the suburb of Watertown.

During the firefight, a transit police officer was wounded. One of the suspects also was critically injured and later died.

Officials first ordered a lockdown for Watertown but later expanded it to the entire Boston area.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


You must be a WORLD member to post comments.

    Keep Reading


    Troubling ties

    Under the Clinton State Department, influence from big money…