Dispatches > Looking Ahead
AP photo by Gary W. Green/Orlando Sentinel

Looking Ahead

Issue: "Trouble in Egypt," June 2, 2012

Zimmerman arraignment

George Zimmerman, who stands accused in the February shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, will face arraignment on May 29 in a Florida court ahead of a second-degree murder trial later this year. Zimmerman's arrest capped weeks of public outrage after the case of the neighborhood watch volunteer allegedly shooting an unarmed teen became national news.

Cooking hope and change

The publication of first lady Michelle Obama's cookbook is set for May 29. Entitled American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America, the first lady's book fits in with her campaign against childhood obesity.

Cooking hope and change

We see you’ve been enjoying the content on our exclusive member website. Ready to get unlimited access to all of WORLD’s member content?
Get your risk-free, 30-Day FREE Trial Membership right now.
(Don’t worry. It only takes a sec—and you don’t have to give us payment information right now.)

Get your risk-free, 30-Day FREE Trial Membership right now.

The publication of first lady Michelle Obama's cookbook is set for May 29. Entitled American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America, the first lady's book fits in with her campaign against childhood obesity.

Scripps Spelling Bee

This year, 278 youngsters ages 6 to 14 will gather in Washington, D.C., on May 30 for the two-day Scripps National Spelling Bee. According to the Bee, 86 percent of spellers at the Bee receive coaching from their parents with the remaining 14 percent turning to outside coaching to prepare for the televised event.

Organic definition

Beginning June 1, food carrying an "organic" label sold in either the United States or Europe will undergo a certification process to ensure certain farming methods. The trade deal, signed in February, could be a boon to African organic farmers interested in selling their goods in both markets.

Mubarak verdict

The verdict in the nearly yearlong trial of deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is due June 2. The former Egyptian leader, who was toppled during the Arab Spring, faces charges of overseeing operations that led to the deaths of those who protested his regime. If convicted, Mubarak could face the death penalty.

Comments

You must be a WORLD member to post comments.

    Keep Reading

     

    Hello, darkness

    Teenagers and the literature of hopelessness and suicide