Today is special for my people: 65 years ago, 9/9/1944, the Red Army occupied Bulgaria.
This is Bulgaria in a nutshell:
- There are about 50 states in today's Europe; Bulgaria is the oldest of them all.
- The first Bulgarian kingdom was established in early seventh century.
- During the eighth century, Bulgarian troops end the Arab siege of Constantinople and save Western civilization from an Islamic invasion.
- In the ninth century, Christianity becomes the official religion under King Boris I. Cyril and Methodius write an alphabet, which the Bulgarian king uses to translate the Holy Bible and open universities. As a result, the Bulgarian church is the only one at the time to worship in its own language (others are only allowed to use Hebrew, Greek, and Latin).
- For a while there are only three European superpowers: the Roman/Byzantine Empire, the Holy Roman/Frankish Empire, and the Bulgarian Empire.
- The Roman Empire conquers Bulgaria in early 11th century and rules it for two centuries.
- In the early 13th century, the newly established second Bulgarian kingdom defeats the invading crusaders who have looted Constantinople instead of liberating Israel.
- The Ottoman Turks conquer the fragmented Bulgarian empire in late 14th century and rule the Balkans for 500 years.
- On March 3, 1878, Russia defeats Turkey, and the third Bulgarian kingdom appears on the map.
- The 20th century is full of warfare in which the Bulgarian army wins almost all battles, while Bulgarian politicians loose almost all wars. And now Bulgaria only borders its former territories.
- During WWII, FDR sells Bulgaria to Stalin. As a result, the country is devastated by socialism---spiritually as well as economically.
Today, Bulgaria is once again a free country and a member of NATO and the European Union. Please pray that the Word of the Cross will reach once again the hearts of the Bulgarian people.