Dispatches > Quotables

Quotables

Issue: "California school shooting," March 17, 2001

The stress level is a lot tougher when you're doing something you don't like, like being a reporter or a journalist.

Dick Cheney, offering reporters a good-natured jab, after he was asked whether his heart could handle the stress of being vice president. Mr. Cheney said he was "having the time of my life" and that the enjoyment kept the "stress level" relatively low. The vice president underwent an angioplasty procedure last week after noticing chest discomfort.

What initially proved difficult, but has since been overcome, is why a cup of coffee costs $3.35 rather than 50 cents. We had to educate northern Indiana on how to order. Now they're hooked.

Dave Allen, spokesman for the Family Christian Center in Munster, Ind., which boasts the first-ever Starbuck's coffee franchise inside a church building. A Boston Globe reporter noted that a member of the 6,000-strong megachurch paid the $50,000 fee Starbuck's charges to license and outfit a franchise.

They chew constantly, their fingers go up and down, their wrists flex and distend.... It was tragic, catastrophic. It's a real nightmare. And we can't selectively turn it off.

We see you’ve been enjoying the content on our exclusive member website. Ready to get unlimited access to all of WORLD’s member content?
Get your risk-free, 30-Day FREE Trial Membership right now.
(Don’t worry. It only takes a sec—and you don’t have to give us payment information right now.)

Get your risk-free, 30-Day FREE Trial Membership right now.

Neurologist Paul E. Greene, of the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, describing to a New York Times reporter what happened to 15 percent of the patients with Parkinson's disease who, as part of a research study, had cells from aborted fetuses implanted in their brains. The other 85 percent showed no overall benefit.

What are you, a bunch of Jesus freaks? You ought to be working for Fox.

Ted Turner, as reported by Fox, during an Ash Wednesday meeting with staffers in CNN's Washington bureau. Several staffers still had smudges on their foreheads.

Comments

You must be a WORLD member to post comments.

    Keep Reading

     

    Good credit

    Competency-based programs offer college credentials without the debilitating cost

     

    Soaring sounds

    Three recent albums highlight the aesthetic and emotional range…

     

    Numbers matter

    Understaffing the U.S. effort in Iraq from the beginning…

    Advertisement